Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blythe

Just a quick post today...this week is really busy unfortunately 

Today I want to introduce one of my Blythe dolls!
Her name is Jade and she's kind of a doll-version of me ^_^  Well, at least, she has my hair color and I dress her in tiny Mori fashions.  Here she is in an outfit she's been wearing for a while, because it suits her so well.

In case you're not familiar with Blythe dolls, they were originally made by the Kenner toy company in the 1970s.  The play feature or gimmick that Blythes have, is that you can change their eye colors with a pull string in the back.  Each click of the pull string changes the doll's eyes to a different color and expression.  Typically, each doll has a pair of left-facing eyes, a pair of right-facing eyes, and two sets that look straight ahead.  The original dolls were not very popular with children unfortunately, and were discontinued after about a year.

Flash-forward to now ... because of their rarity and popularity with collectors, original Kenner Blythes are now worth hundreds or thousands of dollars!

Fortunately for most of us, the Japanese toy company Takara now makes new Blythes that look similar to the originals, without the astronomical price tag.  They even made an actual Mori girl Blythe a few years ago!


Isn't she lovely?  Her name is Vinter Arden.  Unluckily for me, I was taking a break from Blythes when she was released, and didn't know about her until she was long sold out I'll probably never own Vinter Arden because she is very popular now, and tends to sell in the $600 range.  Oh well.

I like my own Jade very much anyways ^_^  It's fun to look at handmade Blythe clothes on etsy for her, and I kind of like that she wasn't a "pre-made" Mori girl.  After, Mori style is about doing your own thing, right?


In terms of more recently released Blythes, I really like Misha Tebyu Lyublyu, a girl with a really funny name and a fairy tale/folkloric look.  She's got a Goldielocks and the 3 Bears theme going. I don't add to my Blythe family very often, but I may have to pick her up before she goes up too much in value.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment